Sunday, September 20, 2009

Me and the old lady...

Mic and I went down to the courthouse on Friday filled out some paperwork, plopped down some cash and we were asked to raise our right hands, say the "I Do's" .. and now we are Domestic Partners in the state of Wisconsin.

The people at the courthouse could NOT have been more nice. Mic even had to go get a birth certificate (the one her mom gave her was the wrong one LOL) and they were able to make her a copy within 5 minutes. During the "I Do's.." Mic got choked up (which she SWORE wouldn't happen) and I cried.. of course. Now, we need to go back in a week and sign it.

We know this isn't marriage.... but it is something. I sincerely thought that I would walk away not feeling any different. But I did... something felt DIFFERENT. The law was on our side... if even only on a few topics. We had something to back our relationship. I can't really figure out how to describe it.. I CAN say that I can't WAIT until we can become civilly married. I am sure that has to be an amazing feeling. It WILL happen. We will be granted those rights. For now, this is what we are able to get...and we have taken advantage of it.

Backup.. I do have to mention our adorable housemate, Rebecca... she is honestly one of the funniest and caring people I know. She presented a frame that she bought for Mic and I to put the certificate in... she also gave us our rings.... the best, strawberry and blue raspberry... :)
One of my oldest and dearest friends, Nonny and her hubby sent us a wonderful card and gift card and a high school friend sent a card as well..... I feel loved. People are so thoughtful.. I need to be more like that.

Mic and I went home to our waiting car all packed and ready to go on our camping "honeymoon" in Lake Kegonsa State Park. We had SO MUCH FUN. I am SO not a camper.... but we have now started talking about getting a trailer so it will be easier when a kid enters our life.. Granted, that conversation creeped me out-- not the kid part---- the CAMPER part... who have I become?!?!? I mean, lord.. there were PIT TOILETS. What? Thank the gods I brought my fancy bathroom spray, just in case. and LORD did it came in handy. The shower building was brand new, though- that was a treat! (did I just SAY that?) It was super dog friendly-- dog beach, dog trails.. etc etc. Next time, maybe we will be brave and bring Cosmo...

I am exhausted.

I am tired.

And I can't wait to take a shower without pushing a button every 15 seconds to make water come out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. And I'm so excited I made it into a blog. Isn't it weird how a piece of paper DOES make you feel different? Congrats again. And I can't wait for the wedding. It will be full of personalized touches and a great reception to boot. :)

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Congratulations!!!!!!

Adventures in Babymaking said...

I am so happy for the both of you. Each step is more and more meaningful. First we had our DP, then we had a commitment ceremony at our church, and finally we were 1 of the 18,000 in CA to get married. Everyone laughs that I keep track of all those dates, but each one is still very significant.

Our DP is framed with our Marriage Certificate. Hopefully one day soon yours will be too.

Congrats to you both. Yay!

2momswithaplan said...

Congrats to you both!!! That is so awesome! I love it all - right down to the ring pops!

shane rocket said...

CONGRATS!!!!!

CJ said...

Congrats!!! Wear your rings with pride...it may not be marriage, but it is one step closer!!

CJ said...

Your a former Neenah-an?? I live very close to there!

CJ said...

I'm in Appleton! I am VERY familiar with Neenah, Menasha, etc. My girlfriend has lived in this area her entire life! It's a small blog world, heh?

Anonymous said...

and CJ, I'm in Oshkosh!