Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What to do...

I have been talking with a friend about what to do in order to get out of the house.... and get involved. We talked about scrap booking, cooking classes, art classes... things of that nature. On my way home today I was speaking with my mom over the phone, and she brought up this place called Kathy's House. A little background -- I was in a 7 year relationship with a woman named Lisa who passed away a year and a half ago from ovarian cancer at the age of 30. She and I were not "together" at the time- though I knew from the moment we broke up that I would always be a part of her life, and she of mine. Many webs tangled together, and we stayed very close... and I ended up being one of her main caregivers at her end of life. She stayed at Kathy's House when she would have to come into Milwaukee for chemo and other treatments. They are a "home away from home" for people in similar situations... when you have to go to a different city for major treatments, and don't have anywhere to go.. need transportation etc. It worked out wonderfully as they were able to take her to the hospital when I had to work, and they would just .. take care of her, when I physically couldn't be with her. So, because of that, instead of taking a class in something that I may or may not use-- or spend a ton of money on supplies etc-- then have them collect dust... I have decided to volunteer some time at Kathy's House. I have contacted them with a list of my abilities, but I honestly will do whatever. So, not only am I going to get out of the house.. I am going to be able to honor a very important person in my life.

No comments: